Friday, February 11, 2011

Getting in the way

          I had to deal with something in ESL class for the first time this week that I had never dealt with before.  One of the students was upset and walking out of the class in frustration.  I know that what transpired was at least partially my fault, so I feel guilty for contributing to the problem.

          Two other students asked a question that somewhat related to American culture (or so they thought).  They asked what I was taught in school was the number of continents in the world.  When they went to school (not in the U.S.) they were taught that there are five continents.  (I still don’t know what those five are).  Then, I asked for the name of the man who discovered “America.”  All of the students responded with Cristobal Colón.  I then proceeded to tell them that here we are taught that it is Christopher Columbus.  Someone said this is a translation of his name, but that is not the point I was confused about.  Why did his name need to be “translated?”  I can’t think of one other historical figure whose name is “translated.”

          In the midst of this, I decided to grab one of the pan dulces that were brought to class.  On the way back to my group, I checked to see what the beginners were working on, and was flagged down by one of the intermediate students because she did not understand a word in her book.  By the time I got back to the advanced group, some of the students were still arguing about the continent issue and one student was walking out the door.  Rocío stopped him before he left and I overheard some of their conversation.

          He was upset because he came to class to learn English, not debate about education.  I know that there is a cultural aspect to it, and one could even argue that people were practicing their speaking skills.  When I think about it, I allowed a few students to get us off topic and that detracted from everyone’s opportunity for learning.  When it comes down to it, I think that I not only allowed it, but encouraged it.  I don’t like the feeling of getting in the way of someone’s education… especially since I am the one who is supposed to be teaching them.

No comments:

Post a Comment