Friday, April 8, 2011

My legal(istic) issues

I can’t believe I have never thought about this before. I don’t know if it was naiveté, ignorance, denial, wishful thinking, or some combination of these. Perhaps I preferred to not know the truth so that I wouldn’t have to deal with that knowledge. Illegal immigrants have infiltrated my ESL class. Now I don’t know what to do. I actually spoke with someone who happens to be an attorney, she told me that they don’t really have many options to become legal citizens. I have even done some additional research online and the information that I have found indicates approximately a 0.0001% chance to become a legal resident if you are an illegal immigrant.
My own feelings on illegal immigration are hazy at best. Building a wall is a stupid idea, that’s for sure, just look at Germany. Although, if it had been built centuries ago (like the one in China) then it would be a landmark rather than a “solution” to illegal immigration. To be honest, I am really struggling with trying to figure out what is the “right” thing to do.
All of these questions keep rolling around in my head. Should I turn them in? How can I turn them in? How many do I not know about? Would I even still be able to get a job teaching ESL if there weren’t illegal immigrants? How can I best help them? What can I do to help them become legal residents? Where do I draw the line?
My wife, Angie, works at an elementary school. She has come home a number of times with stories about a family being torn apart because the dad was deported. Earlier this week she told me that two kids that went to her school won’t be returning because both of their parents got deported. It is sad to think about how those kids lives have changed. (Unless, of course, the family is able to sneak back in. They did it once already, right?)
I don’t think I have ever been this torn up about something. I am truly of two minds about this. I am so confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment